Integrated marketing communication is a strategic business process used to plan , develop execute and evaluate coordinated measurable brand communication programs over time with consumers, customers, prospects and other targeted, relevant external and internal audiences(Schultz and Schultz, 2004)
IMC one can say is a way of looking at the whole marketing process from the customer’s point of view. It is not a modern concept, but it is more important than ever due to the marketing channels available now which were not there before. Advertising efforts previously depended on print, radio, and TV. It did not take much to keep these aligned. But now with the technological advancements and the advent of social media things have changed. This gives it all the more reason to make sure that high level IMC strategies are in place.
Marvel Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies. They have a library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. (Entertainment et al., 2016). Marvel is one of the largest, and hottest, production companies at this moment. As can be seen from their ad campaigns for their films, they have an excellent approach to content marketing
Goals of advertising
Marvel first set up its universe through comics which were released regularly since its inception. That is how its marketing prowess began with great content. They made minor changes in characters and story lines to keep pace with what the company thought the audience of that generation wanted, and it worked. More recently television series like the Agents of SHIELD and Agent carter have been setting viewers for the upcoming movies. By doing this they are giving the back story and utilizing the #ItsAllConnected hashtag on Twitter to demonstrate the connection between both. (Gudmarketing.com, 2014). This way they are able to reach a wider customer base. The marvel universe is now perfectly set up for what is to follow.
INTERACTIVE PROMOTION AT COMIC-CON
Comic-Con International: San Diego. This four-day convention permits fans to get closer to their loved comic artists, actors, directors and characters, in an interactive forum. “The Avengers” which was a blockbuster in itself had been marketed to audiences since “Iron Man” first appeared at Comic-Con in 2007.
Teasers And Trailers
The part where they end the movie with extra edits is one of its most brilliant ideas lately. By doing this they poke the curiosity of the human mind by giving only a flash of the next movie, which is working extremely well for them. Such scenes are very successful in sparking conversations on Twitter, which is the king of the word-of-mouth promotion all brands wish they mastered.
Constant Engagement Through Social Media
The digital team of marvel is constantly active on twitter and has a good number of subscribers on you-tube. Marvel has official Twitter accounts for the brand along with Tony Stark @Iron_Man, who answers questions on marvel. This kind of fan interaction on all social accounts helps in building an empire marvel yearns to be.
The recent marvel blockbuster “Deadpool” made news for its marketing campaign through different channels which created a lot of buzz for the movie. Promotions like how deadpool spent Halloween and the billboard on Valentine’s Day seemed to pay off as the box office is a proof of its activities.
Due to this kind of strategic planning, all the movies which released since 2007 in the series has been of extraordinary quality. Incredibly well thought out content marketing along with well targeted promotional activities has led to the success of the marvel movie franchise, and that’s definitely a side effect of Integrated Marketing Communications. The box office numbers also seem to show that their campaigns are working well as marvel are the highest grossing movie franchise ever.(Cinemablend.com, 2015).
- cinemablend.com, (2015). The Marvel Franchise Just Hit A Huge Milestone. [online] Available at: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-Franchise-Just-Hit-Huge-Milestone-71264.html [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- dailybillboardblog.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://www.dailybillboardblog.com/2016/01/deadpool-movie-billboards.html [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- Entertainment, M., Entertainment, M., Office, M., Office, M., Phillips, P. and Company, T. (2016). Company Marvel Entertainment News, Employees and Funding Information, New York, NY. [online] Vbprofiles.com. Available at:https://www.vbprofiles.com/companies/5492d105b40931dc54000519 [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- gudmarketing.com, (2014). Marvel Studios: The Movie-Marketing Powerhouse. [online] Available at: http://www.gudmarketing.com/blog/article/marvel-studios-movie-marketing-powerhouse [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- hitfix.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/what-you-can-expect-from-marvel-studios-at-their-2014-comic-con-panel [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- marvel.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://marvel.com/news/tv/25076/marvel_television_comes_to_new_york_comic_con_2015 [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- moviepilot.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3634203 [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- Schultz, D. and Schultz, H. (2004). IMC, the next generation. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- sproutsocial.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://sproutsocial.com/insights/successful-brands-twitter/ [Accessed 11 May 2016].
- the-numbers.com, (2016). [image] Available at: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe#tab=summary#ifrndnloc [Accessed 11 May 2016].
Username : Huzi22
Student Id : 215224205